Sunday, March 1, 2009

My staff is twittering. But Dan Schorr?

My staff is twittering.

I can’t say “we” yet, and I’m not sure when I will. Here’s hoping it’s just a passing fad… Heck, I’m the one who, when they introduced the CD, swore I’d never buy anything other than the vinyl albums (which, by the way, I still have. They’re in boxes, but…)

One of my Universal Desk editors was trying to encourage me to get with it, showing me a twitter thread that included a lot of folks we both know. I balked -– why in the world would I care about what kind of granola someone ate for breakfast? Or that they had breakfast at all? If that granola was the source of a biological breakthrough, OK. But otherwise…

But then I heard Daniel Schorr on NPR’s Saturday morning show tell listeners to sign on for his twitter, and my heart sank. We may be in this for the long haul. Here’s the video of his introduction to the world of tweet.

According to twitter.com, “Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?”

Well, the Bradenton Herald plans to twitter on Bradenton’s own in “America’s Next Top Model.” It’s CW’s hit reality TV show, and Jessica Santiago is one of the final 13 contestants. Herald features writer January Holmes takes a look at Tyra Banks’ show in today’s story. The big event is 8 p.m. Wednesday, and January will be twittering at twitter.com/accentbradenton.

Welcome to the new water cooler, they say. As NPR’s Scott Simon assured Mr. Schorr on the learning curve: “Don’t worry. They’ll be gentle, I’m sure.”

Oy vey.

-- Joan

No comments: